Responsive web design is not so harder then you think. Responsive website design scales and aligns its content and elements to match all kinds of browsers and screen sizes including mobile website design.
There was a day where programmers used to struggle hundreds of hours to create a responsive and mobile-friendly website.
But in these modern days, There are a lot of software and web builder platforms to create any kind of website with a simple click. But also, we should consider some of the things like Security, Cost, and Popularity of web designing tools before choosing the right website platform.
You will learn a responsive web design tutorial step by step on how to create a responsive website using WordPress, how to install and set up themes and different plugins.
Full Guide to Create Responsive Web Design
1. Purchasing a Unique Domain Name
The domain name is just the address to your website and think of the internet as a vast map full of avenues and streets in turns everywhere and think of your website as your house for anyone to find their way to your house even you will need to.
Every website has an IP address. IP is just a seemingly random string of numbers but it will be difficult simply to use an IP address to find your website address and contents inside the website.
For example, It is easier to find”www.yourdomain.com” instead of an IP that says 55.124.349. and a domain name is a simple word that helps to memorize people to access inside your website.
There are a few things to be considered before purchasing a domain name for responsive website design:
- Register a domain name that matches your brands and easy to remember by anyone. Also, make sure it will be better to use short words as best as possible.
- Check if you are using others brand names or not. I highly recommend not using other brand names. For example, you cannot purchase a domain that contains “apple” word because it is a brand name of apple company.
- Use extension with .com or .net if possible.
Ways to purchase a domain name. Follow these steps:
a) Go to Namecheap and search a domain that you need.
Type the domain name from the Namecheap dashboard that you are looking for. And you will see all available domains with any extension. And choose the one that is available for purchasing.
b) Select available domain that fits you.
You will see all the available domains from the Namecheap, Once you search any domain in their search bar.
c) Purchase your domain
Checkout display will appear and you will see the option to pick up a domain for how many years, Premium DNS, and Whois Guard.
Whois Guard is free for every customer when they purchase a domain from NameCheap. If you have a promo code, Input it to receive a discount.
Congratulations now you own a domain.
2. Purchase a Powerful Hosting
Hosting is the home of your website. There are different kinds of hosting like: Shared hosting, reseller hosting virtual private service (VPS), and dedicated service.
Hosting is the computer and network infrastructure that keeps your website available across the internet. And it also provides key services like email for you.
You need to choose the best and secure hosting for your website for different reasons like security, migration, speed of a website, backup, etc.
Here, I am referring to the best hosting that I use personally for my WordPress website that is easywp.
Follow the steps and instructions below:
Choose Managed WordPress hosting from NameCheap
From your namecheap.com dashboard and click the WordPress tab. And you will see managed WordPress hosting option and simply click It.
“Managed WordPress hosting” is especially for WordPress websites.
You will see three different plans of Easywp. (ie: EasyWP Starter, EasyWP Turbo, EasyWP Supersonic).
Choose any plans that fit your need. Purchasing a yearly plan for anyone helps to save the budget because you will receive a discount.
In my blog, I used a yearly plan of “EasyWp supersonic” As I will be writing a lot of content and my website need more speed for my responsive design.
3. Install WordPress to Make Responsive Web Design
Wow, You set up your domain and hosting. Now it’s time to access your WordPress and work on it. Follow the following steps:
Login to your Namecheap account dashboard
Now, log in to your Namecheap with the same username and password you used for registering.
And go to the apps section on the left sidebar of your dashboard.
You will see “Apps” click it and there is “Easywp” added to the apps. Clicking this will redirect you to your hosting dashboard.
And now, check the right side of the hosting dashboard, There is a small WordPress icon with an “Admin” button. Click it and it will redirect to your WordPress dashboard.
The image above is the view of your WordPress dashboard from where you can install themes, plugins, and work on different website settings.
4. Choosing Right Theme and Plugins For Responsive and Mobile Website Design
For responsive web design techniques, A theme is most important and should be compatible with mobile website design. The theme is the main look of any website.
The things like how your content is displayed, the Scrolling effects of the site, and the colors and layout depend on what kind of theme you have used.
And plugins help to give extra benefits to the website and increase features that are not fulfilled by theme.
Here are a few things to be considered before selecting or purchasing a WordPress theme and making a proper mobile website design:
- Select responsive and popular theme that includes mobile responsive website theme as best as possible.
- Check cost and license of themes.
- Test any theme before you purchase. From demo view.
- Check responsive web design theme If that provide extra features like page builders and plugins or not.
- Make sure to check Responsive design theme are up to date or not.
Best Tips Before Choosing a Right Plugins:
- Select plugins that has good review at least 4.5 our of 5. And check how many users installed to know it’s popularity.
- Always see plugin developer profile.
- Check if plugin are compatible for your responsive web design theme or not.
- Always update the latest version of plugins.
There are many good WordPress themes But, I recommend the Divi theme for multipurpose use.
Divi theme provides mobile responsive website and responsive design features with good support and powerful free plugins which are best for making a social-friendly and responsive design on WP-site.
Follow the steps below on how to install themes and plugins below:
Go to Elegantthemes official website and Click “Join to Download”
You will see two different pricing yearly and lifetime plans. Choose one that fits your need. and click “Signup Today”
Fill up the form and input the necessary information to purchase a Divi theme.
Once you purchase, go to “My Account” and enter your username and password to log in and now you can access to elegant theme dashboard.
Now you are ready to download the theme and plugins that can be used for your own mobile responsive website that is WordPress.
5. Install Your Divi Theme and Plugins
Follow the steps below to install your website themes and plugins properly in your WordPress website.
Open your WordPress dashboard for theme and plugin installation
Click appearance>themes. You will see the theme upload option. Click upload and select the Divi theme that you downloaded from your computer. and click install. Now theme will take a few minutes to be installed. And click activate.
Similarly download bloom and monarch plugins from the Divi dashboard and go to Plugins>Add new> upload.
And upload the plugin from your computer that you downloaded. and click activates the plugin again.
6. Create Page and Menu for on WordPress Website
a) How to Create Page on WordPress
On the right side of the WordPress dashboard, There is a page tab. Click and go to >Add new>give the name of your page. and click update.
Make sure not to publish the page until it is set up or designed properly. And always save in draft and once you finish the page design you can publish.
Similarly, you can add as many pages as you need depending on your need and requirement.
b) How to Create Website Menu on WordPress
There is the appearance on the right side of the WordPress dashboard. click appearance>Menu.
You can see there is an option to give a menu name. Either you can add a header or footer menu. for header menu>Write menu name and save.
It’s time to pull pages into the menu.
Click a checkmark to add the page name from the right side as shown on the above image and click add to the menu.
Do for all pages similar way. And save the menu again.
7. Customizing Divi Theme
As you can see in the above image, When you open your website there is a “Theme customizer” tab under your site name. Click it and you will see many options to customize your theme upon your need.
The first thing you need to do is, Displaying pages on the site header as a menu.
For that go to >home page setting>and choose static page option under “Your Home page Display” and choose home page name on home page option. And click publish to save the changes.
Allowing this option will display the menu on the header of your website and you can able to set up a home page of your site.
As shown in the screenshot above, You can able to change all theme settings and customize them as per your need. But make sure to hit the “publish” button to save the changes.
- Under General Setting, You can able to update site idendity that is website name, site icon and tagline, layout, tropography and Background.
- Header and navigation allow to customize primary header, secondary header, fixed navigation setting and more.
- From footer section, change layout, add footer widgets, add credits to your website and setup all things related to footer layout.
- Customize website buttons from button setting and change blog colors and layout from blog setting.
- Similarly, you can play with all the setting by previewing in right side.
8. Theme and Plugin Setting
Once you install responsive design Divi Theme, You will see It appears in your wordpress dashboard.
Simply click Divi and Themes options. From here you can change and set up all settings that you needed.
- From General Section: Change logo, Fixed navigation bar turn on or off, Color palette, Blog style mode, Social media links so on.
- From navigations tab: It allow to re-arrange blog categories and pages to your website.
- From builder setting: You can turn on where you need to use Divi builder either on page or post. “Divi builder” is a Divi plugin which helps to build website page and blog post easily. As per recent updates, Divi builder plugins came with theme it means no need to install builder plugin as before.
And also check “Bloom” and “Monarch” plugin setting options to change the plugin setting as per your need.
9. Building Page With Divi Builder Plugin
So, It’s time to design your first page. open your website. There is an “Enable visual builder” tab with a pink background. Click it.
Now, Divi builder will activate on-page. You can add different modules and set up sections to build your page.
Or, Simply click plus (+) sign with a purple background that is located below the page.
It helps to select a Pre-build layout (Ready-made template) by Divi. But before using this, you need to connect the API key that is provided by Divi. You can find your API key inside the Divi dashboard.
Importing a Pre-made layout helps to save lots of time and budget. And there are different categories of Pre-made design. Use it and play to design your pages quickly.
10. More Tips to Improve Your Responsive Web Design
Once you complete building a mobile responsive website, Make sure to test it on mobile and tablet view.
Additional to make a better website.
- Add CDN to website so you will see speed improvement to your website. And this can also handle lots of traffic coming on your website. Simply contact Namecheap support via live chat to add CDN.
- Easy-WP hosting gives backup features for mobile responsive website. Always create backup time to time.
- Add SSL to responsive website design for providing safety connection to visitors.
- Use Yoast plugin to setup and improve SEO (Search engine optimization) for website. This helps to rank your website in search engines like Google and Bing.
- So, again add more plugins that are available from wordpress dashboard to improve functionality and improve better layout of your responsive web design. But, I do not recommend adding lots of plugins.
Pros and Cons for Responsive Webdesign
- Divi theme will save a lot of time designing your website. Due to its flexibility and easy to use page builder and it is mobile responsive website theme.
- You can able to save cost by designing website yourself and can update yourself in future.
- WordPress is used by millions of users and it has high popularity due to its powerful content management system and mobile website design layout.
- Website build using Divi theme in wordpress itself is responsive design and have good speed.
- Your website may looks similar to others due to maximum people use same theme and pre-made layout to design their website so it might be worthless for some users.
- Due to higher uses of wordpress there are lots of bad people (Hackers). They may try to attack your website if security is not setup properly.
- Divi theme may be expensive for you because it is premium theme comparing to other free theme.
- You may feel difficulty to customize CSS code lack of programming knowledge.
FAQ on Web Design
1. There are lots of themes and ways to build a website. Why do you recommend WordPress with Divi?
- The article and guide you are reading on this blog is build with wordpress and divi theme is world popular pultipurpose theme where you can design website related to any categories.
2. I have still questions regarding the Divi theme how to learn more.
- Visit official Divi youtube channel and Divi community forum to ask question. And feel free to read my full guide from begining regarding responsive web design defination, responsive web design techniques and responsive web design meaning.
3. I love your guide but I have no time to build a website. Can you help?
- Feel free to submit your requirements from “Quote” section on my website. I will try to get back as soon as possible.
4. I want to hire a local professional for my website. How to do it?
- Sure, You can visit most popular freelancing platforms to find web designer from your local area. Try searching web designer in upwork, Freelancer and Guru.
Conclusion on Responsive Mobile Website Design
The website always represents your business profile. Because these days along with technology changes there are different devices and browsers.
Your visitors may come from any device. And it is always important to create a responsive website to display all the contents of any website properly.
Along with content, it is important to know “how properly you set up your website” and It is important to know either website is a mobile responsive website or not.
It is always important to make eye-catching designs to attract visitors.
Resources and Read Tips on Responsive Design
- Search and research questions for Divi and Hosting